The Ghana Chamber of Telecommunications has increased its calls for the removal of the law that establishes a charge of 19 cents per minute on inbound international calls on telecommunication companies.
According to the Head of Research and Communications at the Chamber, Derek Laryea, the law imposed is hampering the revenue generation efforts of telecommunication companies in the country.
“Year on year there is always a dip and I know in 2016 we had some policy statement just before the elections about looking at that tax policy. For us as the industry we believe it is a leakage and it also fuels SIM boxing. If I am charging 19 cent and my local call is about 4.8pesewas which is less than one cent, SIM Box fraudsters would take advantage,” he told the B&FT newspaper.
e-Conomy Africa 2020, a new report released today by Google and the International Finance Corporation (IFC), estimates that Africa’s Internet economy has the potential to reach 5.2% of the continent’s gross domestic product (GDP) by 2025, contributing nearly US$180 billion to its economy. The projected potential contribution could reach US$712 billion by 2050.
Driving this growth is a combination of increased access to faster and better quality Internet connectivity, a rapidly expanding urban population, a growing tech talent pool, a vibrant startup ecosystem, and Africa’s commitment to creating the world’s largest single market under the African Continental Free Trade Area.
Currently, Africa is home to 700,000 developers and venture capital funding for startups has increased year-on-year for the past five years, with a record US$2.02 billion in equity funding raised in 2019, according to Partech Ventures Africa.
“The digital economy can and should change the course of Africa’s history. This is an opportune moment to tap into the power of the continent’s tech startups for much-needed solutions to increase access to education, healthcare, and finance, and ensure a more resilient recovery, making Africa a world leader in digital innovation and beyond,” said Stephanie von Friedeburg, Interim Managing Director, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of IFC
Private legal practitioner Maurice Ampaw has taken offence to claims that Tsatsu Tsikata, the Lead Counsel of John Dramani Mahama in the 2020 election petition has exhibited superior legal knowledge than the seven judges sitting on the case.
Maurice Ampaw is incensed by what he considers to be propaganda by some Ghanaians that Tsatsu is more adept at interpreting the law than the judges.
According to him, Tsatsu has so far exhibited gross incompetence in his understanding of the current electoral laws.
One of the lawyers of President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo in the ongoing election petition hearing, Mr. Frank Davies, has told lawyer for the petitioner Mr. Tsatsu Tsikata that he cannot circumvent the rules governing the hearing.
He further dismissed claims by Mr. Tsikata that justice should not be sacrificed for an expedition.
Mr. Davies said Justice delayed is justice denied.
Mr. Tsikata told the Supreme Court on Wednesday, January 20 that much as the court may want to stick to the timelines specified in C.I 99 for the adjudication of election petitions, it should not be done in disregard of justice.
Tsikata was reacting to orders by the court for parties file their witness statements by 12 noon Thursday, January 21, a timeline the lawyer deemed too short.
According to him, the Supreme Court’s insistence of such a short timeline is not justified in law.
But the bench explained the modification of the law which culminated in C.I 99 requires the court to operate within strict timelines, a requirement the court cannot compromise
The bench was also of the view that lawyers should have known that they will be required to file witness statements and that those should have been prepared ahead of time.
Dissatisfied Tsatsu Tsikata told the court, adherence to those timelines should not injure justice.
“Justice cannot be sacrificed for expedition”, he said.
John Dramani Mahama has filed an application to the court praying for a stay of proceedings in the ongoing election petition trial.
The Petitioner in the 2020 Election Petition, John Dramani Mahama, is expected to file witness statements and the accompanying affidavits on his petition at the Supreme Court registry today, Thursday, January 21, 2021.
Based on this order, the NDC flagbearer is seeking to curtail the process so the Supreme Court will hear the pending review application for the ruling against the interrogatory questions presented in court by lead Counsel, Lawyer Tsatsu Tsikata.
The court on January 19 2020, dismissed the motion filed by the lawyers of John Dramani Mahama in the election petition case seeking to require the Electoral Commissioner to admit to errors she made during her declaration of election results.
The apex court unanimously ‘threw out’ the NDC Flagbearer’s application after identifying that the interrogatories were irrelevant to the case.
Just when it appeared all bottlenecks have been removed and the road was all clear for a successful funeral for the late Jerry John Rawlings, there suddenly has been another twist.
The government through the Funeral Organizing Committee initially announced December 23, 2020, as the day for the burial and funeral of the late president.
This date was rejected by the Anlo Traditional Council which decried what it contended to be a sidelining of the council and failure to factor in the traditions of the people of Anlo in the decision-making process.
This led to a period of behind-the-scenes talks which eventually resulted in the changing of the dates.
The government through circulars to diplomatic missions and international organizations, made it known that January 27 has been agreed on as the day Ghana’s longest-serving leader will join his ancestors as said in the Ghanaian parlance.
Subsequently, a press conference was held by the Ministry of Information where Oppong Nkrumah announced that the Military Cemetery at Burma Camp will house the body of the NDC founder
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has decided that there will be no Deputy Regional Ministers, a statement signed on his behalf by the Acting Director of Communications at the Presidency Mr Eugene Arhin, has said on Thursday January 21.
The statement further said the President will be working with twenty eight (28) ministries in his second administration.
This is a fall from the thirty-six (36) ministries he worked with during his first government. He also said he the number of ministers will not exceed eighty five (85).
This is down from the 120 ministers who served in his previous administration, Furthermore, it said the President intends to appoint a Minister for Public Enterprises, who will be operating directly under the ambit of the Presidency, and not from a Ministry. The Minister will oversee a major restructuring of the entire state-owned enterprises sector to improve the productivity and profitability of the sector.Mr Akufo-Addo has also realigned Aviation, Business Development, Inner City and Zongo Development, Monitoring and Evaluation, Planning, Regional Re-organisation and Development, and Special Development Initiatives, have been realigned.
The President has effected this realignment because virtually all these special-purpose Ministries have achieved the purposes for which they were established.
The Office of the Senior Minister has also been abolished. This will result in a total of twenty-eight (28) Ministries, down from the thirty-six (36) of his first term.
A Minister of State has been nominated, and, if approved, will be assigned to the Ministry of Works and Housing, in addition to the substantive Minister, to give special focus to the critical issue of affordable, mass housing, envisaged as one of the priorities of the President’s second term.
“In all, President Akufo-Addo will appoint a total of thirty (30) Ministers, and sixteen (16) Regional Ministers, bringing the total number of Ministers to forty-six (46). Eight (8) of this number are women – six (6) Ministers and two (2) Regional Ministers. This is the list that will be submitted to Parliament by the President on Thursday.
The Ghana Armed Forces has registered their displeasure about the galamsey documentary aired by Joy News which captured some military men being involved.
GhanaWeb's attempts to get the reaction of Director of Public Relations at the Ghana Armed Forces, Colonel Eric Aggrey-Quarshie on the subject were met with declination