The wireless earbud is the latest trend in the communication world. And virtually all mobile phone brands are coming out with their version of earbuds. One tech entrepreneur has added innovation to the earbuds economy with his own invention.
Danny Manu, a Ghanaian-British man, developed earbuds that auto-translate other languages. According to Keepthefaith, the earbuds can live translate over 40 languages. The product, called Click, is said to be “the world’s first truly wireless earphones” with live voice translation supporting 40 languages.
The wireless Bluetooth headset works by pairing to a smartphone. The earbuds then automatically detect the language being spoken and provide a spoken translation within a sentence or two. Click does not require internet like similar inventions.
The device, which has been on the rise since its invention under the Mymanu brand, has won customers across Europe, U.S and Asia. Manu tells Keepthefaith that the journey has been long and stressful, attributing his success to hard work and determination.
Manu built his business through self-financing. This was down to the challenges Black startups in the UK face in accessing capital or venture funding.
Burkina Faso commemorated Friday the 34th anniversary of the death of former revolutionary president Thomas Sankara, assassinated on October 15, 1987, and whose bust was unveiled at the university that bears his name in Ouagadougou, in the presence of his widow Mariam.
"This work placed at the entrance of the university is a work of remembrance and memory for current and future generations of teachers and students," said Mariam Sankara in inaugurating the bust.
"My dream is that this statue reminds us daily of the memory of the revolution led in our country by Thomas Sankara and his comrades between 1983 and 1987. It will be the image of a leader who loved his country and who devoted himself to its transformation, brutally interrupted by the enemies of Burkina," she added.
To the students of the Thomas Sankara University, the second in Ouagadougou, she said that they had "the heavy task of acquiring knowledge and putting it at the service of the Burkinabe people in particular and African people in general.
Mrs. Sankara, who usually lives in France, came to Ouagadougou to attend the trial of the alleged killers of her husband, who was killed in a coup d'état on October 15, 1987, along with 12 of his comrades. He had been in power for four years and was only 37 years old.
On Monday a trial to open nvestigations into his sankaras killing was opened Monday before the military court in Ouagadougou, but was suspended until October 25.
Twelve of the 14 defendants were present at the opening of the trial, including General Gilbert Diendéré, one of the main leaders of the Burkinabe army during the coup.
On the other hand, Blaise Compaoré, brought to power by this putsch and who led Burkina for 27 years, was the great absentee: he lives in exile in Ivory Coast - a country of which he obtained the nationality - since his fall in 2014 and did not want to appear at "a political trial" before "a court of exception", according to his lawyers.
"The duty of memory requires us to recognize the work done by this exceptional man, in four years of commitment and sacrifice for his country and for Africa. The memory of Thomas Sankara remains alive," President Roch Marc Christian Kaboré wrote on Twitter.
The head of state had previously laid a wreath in the afternoon at the foot of the huge statue of Thomas Sankara, erected in 2019 on the site where he was assassinated and where a memorial has been created.
Mrs. Sankara did not attend this ceremony: she and her family were opposed to the creation of the memorial on the site of the death of the "father of the Burkinabe revolution".
The Thomas Sankara memorial currently consists only of the statue, but will eventually house an 87-meter high tower - recalling the year of his death - topped by a lighthouse, an exhibition hall, a museum and a library.
During Blaise Compaoré's 27-year reign, the circumstances of Sankara's death were completely overshadowed, and ceremonies in his honor only began after Compaoré was forced out by an insurrection
Hundreds of Sudanese called Saturday in Khartoum for the fall of the government that is supposed to lead the country to its first elections after 30 years of dictatorship, accusing it of having "failed" to get them out of the political and economic stagnation, AFP reporters noted.
Yahya Mohieddine, who came from his northern province to demonstrate in front of the presidential palace in the capital, where the transitional authorities are based, held up a sign demanding "the dismissal of the government" led since the fall of Omar al-Bashir in 2019 by the technocrat Abdallah Hamdok.
"We need a government that includes all revolutionary forces," he assures AFP while the sacred union of civilians and military of the "revolution" of 2019 has fizzled.
On Friday evening, nearly a month after a failed coup, Prime Minister Abdallah Hamdok denounced "deep divisions" between civilians and military but also within these two blocks. He also declared that the transition was going through its "most dangerous" crisis, saying that the path to democracy was threatened.
On Saturday, a seditious faction of the Forces for Freedom and Change (FLC) - the civilian coalition of the "revolution" - led by two former rebel leaders, including Hamdok's finance minister, called for demonstrations against the government.
"We need a military government, the current cabinet has failed and only the army can bring us justice and equality," said Abboud Ahmed, a self-described "poor" farmer outside the presidential palace.
Around him, pick-ups are dropping off new waves of protesters, some of whom are chanting "One army, one people", while the security forces have blocked many of the capital's main roads since the morning.
"There is no stability and life is too expensive," said the 50-year-old man, whose country, one of the poorest in the world, is caught between inflation approaching 400% and an austerity decreed by the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
For their opponents, Saturday's demonstrators are supporters of the former deposed regime. Supporters of a complete transfer of power to civilians have already called for "a demonstration of one million people" on Thursday.
The new authorities, made up of military and civilians, are supposed to lead the country towards elections, but they keep pushing back the deadline, currently to 2023.
Sudan's prime minister on Friday announced a series of steps for his country's transition to democracy less than a month after a coup attempt rocked its leadership.
In a speech, Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok called the coup attempt an 'alarm bell' that should awaken people to the roots of the country's political and economic challenges.
Authorities announced the coup attempt by a group of soldiers on September 22, saying that it had failed.
They blamed supporters of the country's former autocrat Omar al-Bashir for planning the takeover.
President of the Ghana Independent Broadcasters Association (GIBA), Mr Cecil Thomas Nee Lantey Sunkwa-Mills, has said none of the radio stations that were shut down for noncompliance has received letters from the National Communications Authority (NCA) announcing their re-authorisation.
He said on the Key Points on TV3/3FM Saturday, October 16 that GIBA contacted the NCA on the announcement of the re-authorisation but the regulator said they were preparing the letters to be sent to these stations.
He told the host of the show, Dzifa Bampoh, that “because we have members asking exactly who is on this 133 that were existing.
“We have actually not received any clear documentation even though we have heard Radio, XYZ and then Kapital Radio came through.
“There has been no actual confirmation. We have made contact with the NCA and the response we got was they were putting together the letters to be sent to these stations but as of yesternight, no station has received any clear letter from the NCA confirming this.
“So it would have been good if this was made public and then the other news that followed or the perceptions would have been clarified.”
The Governing Board of the NCA has approved the grant of a total of one hundred and thirty-three (133) FM radio broadcasting authorisations which include new applications from entities whose FM radio stations were closed down after the 2017 FM Audit as well as existing stations that applied for renewal of their expired FM Radio broadcasting authorisations.
Ghana is ready to share her learnings and development experiences with other countries as they all seek to better the lives of their citizens, the Vice President of the Republic, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has assured.
Thus, Ghana will continue to develop and enhance cordial and mutually beneficial relations with friends both near and far, with the ultimate aim of accelerated development and improved livelihoods.
Dr. Bawumia assured of Ghana’s commitment to the exchange of practical development ideas on Friday, 15 October 2021 when he welcomed H.E. Bharrat Jagdeo, Vice President of the Co-operative Republic of Guyana, to the Jubilee House, Accra for bilateral talks at the beginning of a three-day visit to the country.
Amongst other objectives, Vice President Jagdeo and his delegation are in Ghana to learn about the country’s experiences in the oil and gas sector, with particular reference to local content and participation, the legal framework, and general best practices in exploration and exploitation of hydrocarbon finds, having discovered hydrocarbons on a large scale in 2015.
During the visit, technical teams from Ghana’s Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC), Petroleum Commission (PC), Ghana Gas, Energy Commission and other stakeholders in the energy sector will be engaging their counterparts from Guyana to share ideas and exchange learnings.
As part of efforts to permanently get rid of ghost names on the government pay roll, the Controller and Accountant-General’s Department (CAGD) has insisted on the need for all government employees to obtain a Ghana Card.
The CAGD has explained that it cannot withdraw the directive issued earlier this week and has urged all employees to register and get the Ghana Card as a form of national identification before the deadline.
In an interview with the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Accra on Thursday [October 14, 2021], the Head of Public Relations at CAGD, Mr Cephas Narh Dosso reaffirmed the department's directive saying it was the best way to address challenges in its payroll system.
We cannot withdraw the directive asking public sector employees to acquire a national identification card by December 1, 2021 or forfeit their salaries.
There have been agitations by a section of government workers and unions since the department issued the directive on Tuesday, October 12, 2021 with some asking the Controller and Accountant-General to reconsider the directive and withdraw it completely or have the deadline extended.
But Mr Dosso explained that Section 8(4) of the Public Financial Management Act, 2016 (Act 921), mandated the CAGD to, among other functions, receive, disburse and provide secured custody for public funds.
He said as a department, which dealt with about 500,000 government workers, it was necessary that it put in measures to ensure the integrity of the payroll at all times.
"We have a payroll that is incumbent by about 500,000 government employees nationwide and as a department, over the years, the CAGD have been instituting measures that will ensure the integrity of the payroll is maintained at all times," Mr Dosoo explained.
He rather urged the various public institutions and unions to educate and urge their members to acquire the cards before the deadline.
The Controller and Accountant General’s Department (CAGD) cannot withhold salaries of workers who do not have a Ghana Card, Ningo Prampram Member of Parliament, Samuel Nartey George, has said.
According to him, there is no law backing the decision by the CADG to stop paying salaries of workers who fail to obtain the Ghana Card.
The CAGD had said in a statement on Wednesday, October 13 that from 1st December 2021, all government workers without the Ghana Card will not be paid salaries.
Portions of the statement said, “By this notice, all existing and prospective Government workers arc to ensure they are registered with the NIA and have obtained their Identity numbers.”
“As part of Government of Ghana’s efforts to deliver speedily, secured and verified payroll services to government employees and pensioners while reducing the risk of undeserving payments or claims, the Controller and Accountant-General’s Department (CAGD) is collaborating with the National Identification Authority (NIA) to have a harmonized database to facilitate biometric and unique identification of all workers on the government payroll,” the statement added.
Labour unions have rejected this move.
They said they were not consulted in the decision CAGD to stop the salary payment of government workers if they do not possess a Ghana card by December 1.
The unions say even though the motive is a good one, the timing is wrong since Accra and Kumasi are not the only cities that constitute Ghana.
They are therefore warning the Controller and Accountant General’s Department to halt such threats if it wants peace in this country.
The labour unions are not pleased with the directive by the Controller and Accountant General’s Department to stop the salary payment of government workers if they do not possess a Ghana card.
The Deputy Secretary-General of Trades Union Congress (TUC), Joshua Ansah, in an interview on 3FM’s Sunrise on Thursday said “it is very very unfortunate that the controller will sit and make such decision.
“The laws governing salaries must be respected and TUC says no no to it and we are calling the Controller to do the needful”, he told Sunrise host, Alfred Ocansey on Thursday.
Mr. Ansah explained that “doing the needful means that all the stakeholders must be brought on board to decide on the issue because Accra and Kumasi is not only Ghana. We have remote areas”.
“I don’t want to believe it. They must do the needful by calling on the labour unions and talk about it because it is a good thing but wrong approach”.
The husband of Olympic runner Agnes Tirop has been arrested and will be charged with her murder after Kenyan police launched a nationwide manhunt and found him in the coastal city of Mombasa trying to flee the country, authorities said.
Ibrahim Rotich was arrested just before 9 p.m. Thursday, police said, but only after crashing his vehicle into a truck in a car chase with police and escaping a first attempt by officers to apprehend him about 460 kilometers (285 miles) from Mombasa. He was finally arrested hours later in the eastern city.
The prime suspect in the gruesome murder of 25-year-old world 5,000m record holder Agnes Tirop, has been arrested. Ibrahim Rotich, who was in a relationship with the athlete was arrested moments ago in Changamwe, Mombasa county, as he tried to flee to a neighboring
Rotich was detained a day after Tirop, a two-time world championship bronze medalist, was found stabbed to death at her home in the western town of Iten, more than 800 kilometers (500 miles) from Mombasa on the other side of the country. The 25-year-old Tirop's body was found in a pool of blood with stab wounds in the abdomen, police said.
Rotich was immediately identified as the prime suspect and police said he went on the run after making a tearful phone call to his family confessing he had done something terrible.
Rotich was arrested alongside another man he was traveling with and had Tirop's cell phone with him, police said.
The Directorate for Criminal Investigations said Rotich was being questioned at a police station and would be charged with murder.
Rotich and Tirop were married in a traditional Kenyan ceremony but were estranged at the time of her killing. Their families had convinced them to try to reconcile and they had apparently met this week to do that.
Tirop was a rising star in Kenya after winning the 2015 world cross-country title at the age of 19, the second youngest athlete ever to win that event. She also claimed bronze medals in the 10,000 meters at the 2017 and 2019 world championships and finished fourth in the 5,000 meters at the Tokyo Olympics.
Last month, she broke the world record for the women-only 10-kilometer road race.
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta was one of many who expressed outrage at her killing. Kenyatta, who is on an official visit to the United States, said Tirop was a “Kenyan hero” and ordered police to find her killer.
The Kenyan track federation suspended all its events in the country for two weeks in a mark of respect for Tirop.