Items filtered by date: May 2021 - WonsoKabiRadio.Com

The Korle Bu Police are investigating a case involving the contamination of a medical doctor's drinking water with HIV-infected blood.

The act is suspected to have been carried out by another doctor following a disagreement between the two.

Both doctors (names withheld) work at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital (KBTH).

 

Disagreement

Checks by Graphic Online at the Korle Bu District Police Command indicated that at about 11.30a.m. on May 6, 2021, a medical doctor, accompanied by the lawyer of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital (KBTH), Mr Kwame Gyamfi, filed a complaint at the charge office of the police station regarding an attempt to poison the doctor's drinking water.

The medical doctor told the police that he was on a 24-hour duty with six other doctors at the Labour Ward One of the hospital.

At the end of the 24-hour shift, the medical doctor allegedly returned to his consulting room and detected that his drinking water which he kept in a water bottle in the room was contaminated.

Suspicion

The doctor suspected that his water had been contaminated after he found a reddish substance which appeared like blood in the water.

Based on the doctor's suspicion, the water in the bottle was clinically tested and it was found that the substance was blood.

 

HIV test

When the blood was later tested, it came out positive for HIV.

The medical doctor told the police that he suspected one of his colleagues and gave his name to the police.

He claimed that the two of them had some disagreement while they were on duty at the labour ward.

Confirmation

When the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Accra Regional Police Command, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), Mrs Effia Tenge, was contacted by Graphic Online, she confirmed that the Korle Bu Police had received such information and that it was under investigation.

 

 

 

 

Source: graphic.com.gh

 

 

 

 

 

Published in Politics
 
 

The Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) has appealed to corporate bodies and individual well-wishers to support operations of the 37 Military Hospital.

This is because it is a major hospital that serves thousands of military personnel, their families and the general populace.

Vice Admiral Seth Amoama, the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), made the appeal at the commissioning of the Warrant Officers’ (WOs) Ward at the Hospital.

He said medical delivery was one of the key corporate social responsibilities of GAF to the public, making it appropriate for the Hospital to be kept in the best shape to deliver the best healthcare services to its wide range of clientele.

The CDS described the 37 Military Hospital as the national emergency hospital, with about 70 percent of its clientele being civilians.

He said the Hospital bore about 20 percent of the total caseload of COVID-19 in the country, which underscored its importance to the healthcare delivery system.

The commissioning of the Ward, Vice Admiral Amoama said, marked an important milestone in the quest to promote healthcare for uniformed personnel.

“As the past Chairman of the Military Hospital’s Advisory Board, I have watched with great admiration the steady growth of the Hospital, which has gradually become the preferred choice and first point of call for all and sundry,” he said.

Vice Admiral Amoama said the Military High Command recognized the pivotal role of the WOs at various levels towards the effective Command and Administration of GAF, therefore, the Ward had been carved out for the warrant officers, both serving and retired, to receive the requisite healthcare at the Hospital.

“It is the intention of the Military High Command to add up to the facility in the near future to be able to expand the scope of special care for various categories across the rank and file,” he said.

He commended the Director-General of Medical Services and the leadership and staff of the Hospital for embracing the project and taking prompt action to operationalize it.

The Ward was named after Ex-Chief Warrant Officer (CWO) James Cole for his extraordinary commitment to service during his work in the GAF, and also to inspire other service personnel to work hard.

 

The late CWO Cole, former Forces Sergeant Major, was recruited into the Ghana Army on 21st July 1964.

He distinguished himself in all appointments throughout his career and was identified as the most qualified to hold the appointment as the Second Forces Sergeant Major of GAF in 1997.

With skill and tact, he was well cut out as an effective link between the Officer Corps and Soldiers.

In recognition of his dedicated service to the nation, CWO Cole was decorated with the Member of the Order of the Volta (Military Division) in 2007 and was honourably discharged from GAF on December 29, 2009.

 

 

 

 

Source: GNA

 

 

Published in Politics

The Ghana Armed Forces on Friday deployed 400 soldiers of all ranks to begin the second phase of 'Operation Halt' to rid the country's water bodies of illegal miners.

The operation is aimed at removing all persons and logistics involved in mining on the water bodies.

In a statement signed and issued by Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah in Accra on Friday, said the second phase of the exercise would focus on the tributaries of Pra River, which were significantly affected by the activities of illegal miners.

The military, the statement said, had also begun armed patrols of the Pra River itself and advised the public to stay away from mining in rivers, in order to avoid any action from the soldiers.

GAF also deployed 200 soldiers to get rid of persons and mining logistics on water bodies

President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo on Wednesday, April 28 authorized the Ghana Armed Forces to commence an operation to remove all persons and logistics involved in mining from Ghana's water bodies.

The operation started at 0600 hours involving 200 soldiers.

The endeavour was in furtherance of the resolutions of the final communiqué issued at the end of the two-day National Consultative Dialogue on Small-Scale Mining held from April 14 to 15.

The operation was aimed at ensuring that mining on the water bodies was stopped.

 

 

 

 

 

Source: GNA

 

Published in Politics

The Ghana Armed Forces on Friday deployed 400 soldiers of all ranks to begin the second phase of 'Operation Halt' to rid the country's water bodies of illegal miners.

The operation is aimed at removing all persons and logistics involved in mining on the water bodies.

In a statement signed and issued by Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah in Accra on Friday, said the second phase of the exercise would focus on the tributaries of Pra River, which were significantly affected by the activities of illegal miners.

The military, the statement said, had also begun armed patrols of the Pra River itself and advised the public to stay away from mining in rivers, in order to avoid any action from the soldiers.

GAF also deployed 200 soldiers to get rid of persons and mining logistics on water bodies

President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo on Wednesday, April 28 authorized the Ghana Armed Forces to commence an operation to remove all persons and logistics involved in mining from Ghana's water bodies.

The operation started at 0600 hours involving 200 soldiers.

The endeavour was in furtherance of the resolutions of the final communiqué issued at the end of the two-day National Consultative Dialogue on Small-Scale Mining held from April 14 to 15.

The operation was aimed at ensuring that mining on the water bodies was stopped.

 

 

 

 

 

Source: GNA

 

Published in Politics

A 25-year-old Ghanaian woman residing in Miami-USA has been shot dead.

Police say the incident involving one Rachel Maame Adwoa Amuah occurred on the seventh-floor of a high-rise building Thursday [May 6 2021] morning at around 1:20 a.m. on the 698 NE First Ave.

According to reports by Miami Local 10 News, the police after receiving a distress call in the area found the victim Maame Adwoa Amuah severely wounded around her neck from an apparent gunshot.

She was however taken to the Jackson Memorial Hospital’s Ryder Trauma Center in critical condition but died shortly after.

“Right now, we have one person that has been detained and one possible witness that we’re questioning at this time,” Miami Police Officer Kenia Fallat told reporters.

“Detectives are waiting for a warrant to be able to make their way inside the apartment to gather additional evidence,” Fallat added.

 

Miami investigators say they are looking for surveillance video within the area to ascertain the cause of the crime and are working to find out more details about the victim.

The Police add that the motive behind the shooting remains unclear at this point.

“We don’t know if she was living here, but right now we do know that detectives are looking at the motive very closely,” Fallat added.

 

 

 

Published in Politics

The Tema Regional Police Command in the first quarter of 2021 recorded three attempted murder cases in the region.

Chief Inspector Stela Dede Dzakpasu, Acting Public Relations Officer for the Tema Regional Police, told the Ghana News Agency that one of the cases was sent to court and under trial, the remaining two were under investigation.

Touching on other cases, she said three cases of abduction of children under 18 years were also under investigation.

A total of 15 cases were recorded in the first quarter of the year by the Domestic Violence Victim Support Unit (DOVVSU) of the Regional Police Command.

The 15 consisted of three defilements, two duties to maintain a child, two emotional, verbal, psychological abuse, seven cases of failing to maintain a child and one rape.

On robbery, the acting PRO disclosed that 58 cases of robbery were documented during the period out of which one involved car snatching, one street robbery, 51 residential, three workplace, and two highway robberies.

Twenty-two possession of Indian Hemp cases were also handled by the Command out of which 15 were under trial at the courts and six still under investigation.

 

On economic fraud, 10 general frauds, 23 land and mortgage, nine fraudulent transactions, six issuances of false cheque, 305 trespassing and eight unlawful damages were reported at the various police stations within the Tema region.

She advised people to be cautious and take their security seriously, adding that people should desist from walking in isolated areas, especially at night to avoid attacks and robberies from unscrupulous people.

“People should carefully select domestic staff and artisans and be couscous of persons that know their private life, by virtue of their work and association for example domestic staff, close relatives, and religious associates, among others.

Chief Inspector Dzakpasu further advised the public against keeping huge sums of money and other important documents at home and resort to the use of the banks.

She also encouraged residents to consider forming a neighbourhood watch committee to help know and protect each other, adding that every suspicious criminal activity must be reported to the police for prompt actions to be taken.

 

 

 

 

 

Source: GNA

 

Published in Politics

The Criminal Division of the Accra High Court has ordered a former Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Cocoa Board (COCOBOD), Dr Stephen Kwabena Opuni, and a businessman, Seidu Agongo, to open their defence.

The court, presided over by Justice Clemence Honyenuga, gave the order yesterday after it dismissed a submission of no case filed by the two accused persons.

Dr Opuni and Agongo, the CEO of Agricult Ghana Limited, are on trial for allegedly engaging in illegalities in a series of fertiliser transactions which the Attorney-General (A-G) says caused a financial loss of GH¢271.3 million to the state.

They were dragged to court by the A-G in March 2018 on 27 charges, including willfully causing financial loss to the state, defrauding by false pretence, contravention of procurement laws, corruption of a public officer and money laundering.

Submission of no case

In support of its case, the prosecution called seven witnesses and presented a series of documents.

After the prosecution rested, the accused persons decided to exercise their rights by filing a submission of no case under Section 173 of the Criminal and Other Offences (Procedure) Act, 1960 (Act 30).

Section 173 of Act 30 allows a trial court to acquit an accused person if the court concludes that the prosecution had failed to make a case sufficient enough for the accused person to open his defence.

Lawyers for the accused persons had argued that the prosecution failed to make any prima facie case against their clients to warrant them to open their defence.

 

 

Published in Politics

State prosecutors have dragged the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of K. Ofori Limited and three others to court for allegedly evading tax to the tune of GH¢1.6 billion since 2013.

Frank Kwadwo Ofori, together with Hani Mikati, Marwam Hamwi and Sallam Mohammed Gharib, all officials of United Steel Company, were slapped with conspiracy to commit crime, namely fraudulent evasion of tax when they appeared before an Accra Circuit Court, presided over by Ms Afua Owusua Appiah last Thursday.

K. Ofori Limited with headquarters in Accra and branches in many parts of the country deals in building materials while United Steel Company is a steel fabrication company in Tema.

Not guilty

The accused persons have pleaded not guilty to the charges and have been granted bail in the sum of GH¢1 million each with three sureties to be justified.

As part of the bail conditions, they are to deposit their passports at the court’s registry.

They have also been directed to report to the police every two weeks.

They will reappear in court on June 8, this year.

Facts

 

Presenting the facts of the case, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Mr Sylvester Asare said earlier this year, the security agencies picked up information regarding the unlawful activities of the accused persons including fraudulent evasion of tax and money laundering.

He said further intelligence revealed that the officers of United Steel Company developed a scheme apparently to evade taxes and disguised the proceeds in Ghana and abroad.

ASP Asare said pursuant to the preceding scheme and to facilitate the unlawful activities, Ofori incorporated a company by name Kwadwo Boakye Enterprise (KBE), which was made an agent for United Steel Company.

Consequently, the prosecution said, surveillance was mounted on the activities of the accused persons and on April 29, this year, they were picked up.
During a search at the offices of the United Steel Company and the residence of Mikati, about 15 signed cheque books without face value from five separate banks in the name of KBE were found.

The prosecutor said preliminary investigations established that the accused persons, through their unlawful activities, had fraudulently evaded taxes to the tune of GH¢1.6 billion between 2013 and April 2021 and had concealed and disguised the proceeds into investments in the country and abroad.

 

 

 

Published in Politics

Soldiers have been deployed to remove all persons engaged in mining in water bodies in Ghana in the second phase of Operation Halt II.

The new phase of the operation is focusing on the tributaries of the Pra river which have also been significantly affected by the activities of illegal miners.

The Minister of Information, Mr Kojo Oppong Nkrumah made this known in a press statement dated May 7, 2021 and issued Friday afternoon.

The first phase of the operation, which was ordered by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo and started on April 28, 2021 led to the arrest of two Chinese nationals and the seizure and destruction of equipment which were being used for illegal mining.

Unlike last week's first phase of the operation where 200 soldiers were deployed, this time around, the operation is being undertaken by 400 men all ranks.

"The public is advised to stay away from mining in water bodies to avoid any action by the forces," the Minister of Information advised.

The Ghana Armed Forces has commenced a second phase of Operation Halt II aimed at removing all persons and logistics involved in mining on water bodies.

The new phase of the operation focuses on the tributaries of the Pra river which have also been significantly affected by the activities of illegal miners.

 

The Ghana Armed Forces has also commenced armed patrols of the Pra river itself.

The operation is being undertaken by four hundred (400) men all ranks. The public is advised to stay away from mining in water bodies to avoid any action by the forces.

 

Published in Politics

Super Falcons star Asisat Oshoala is set to qualify for her very first European Champions League final.

The Barcelona striker will play a key role in the second leg against Paris Saint Germain on home turf in Spain, one week after the 1-1 draw in France

This season, the four-time African Female Player of the Year has featured in six Champions League matches, scoring four goals.

In contrast, she has mustered 15 goals in the Primera División Femenina.

Against Barcelona, Paris has never won in the competition but the French team is really confident after ending compatriot Lyon's 5-year reign in the previous round

They will also rely on the strength of other African players such as Grace Geyoro and Marie-Antoinette Katoto -- both international players of Congolese descent who have played for France.

The winner of the tie between Barcelona and PSG will face either Bayern Munich or Chelsea in the Women’s Champions League final.

 

Published in Sports
Page 2 of 6

Wonso Ka Bi Radio is an ultimate Music, News and Talk Internet radio for Ghanaians Diaspora. Here you can get the latest news from the whole world quickly.

Photo Gallery