Details are emerging about how the 28-year-old man, Richard Appiah of Abesim near Sunyani in the Bono Region, lured three boys, killed them and kept their mutilated bodies in his fridge.
The dastardly act, which can pass as the work of a cannibal, was finally discovered in an unpainted house at Abesim Alaska on Saturday, thereby sending shockwaves in the country.
It is turning out that Appiah, believed to be an architect or surveyor and a footballer, was a friend to the victims who have been identified as 15-year-old Stephen Sarpong who was in JHS2, the suspect’s own 12-year-old step-brother Louis Agyemang, and a yet-to-be-identified body of another boy.
He is believed to have been cooking for the victims and showing them some affection, and through that supposed kindness, he was able to lure them and subsequently kill them in turns.
The Abesim ‘cannibal’ is said to be a man who hardly smiles, and per police records, four persons are said to have gone missing in the neighbourhood where he lives.
This has led to a heightened suspicion that he could be behind the strange disappearances.
He is said to have initially denied knowledge of the whereabouts of the boy who went missing, but whose body was eventually found in the fridge in the suspect’s room.
It was a man who lives in the neighbourhood who insisted that the suspect knew the whereabouts of the small boy because he had seen the suspect and the victim together on the day the victim went missing.
It was alleged that, Appiah after the dastardly act brought out his clothing and set it on fire, probably to delete any evidence of the crime.
Two more persons have been picked up by the police over the gruesome killings and are being interrogated. Their identities have not been disclosed by the police.
The father of the last boy (Stephen Sarpong) to be killed, Yeboah Asuama, has been explaining what might have transpired between his son and the ‘cannibal,’ whom he described as his friend.
He said “the young man (suspect), truth be told, is my friend. It was only four days ago that he came to my house that – I also work with him, he is a surveyor – he came to tell me that the land he was planning on developing had sand and blocks on it and he wanted me to sell it for him, so I did.”
He said amid tears that “just yesterday, the young man came to my house to tell me that if he did not get the money by evening time, he would sell it to another person. And I told him I had already sold it and that the buyer would bring the money within the day,” adding “so that evening, a friend of mine and I took the money from the sales to his house and gave it to him. He gave me a receipt and escorted us home.
“Never! Never! Never! Have I heard or seen such a thing before, and I would have never suspected him in this way.”
The victim’s father confirmed that “he (suspect) used to cook and eat with my children. They were also friends.
“My son told me that he was going to the canteen we operate about 300 metres from our home. But, unfortunately, that was the last time we saw him. We had waited for him to return the whole night but he did not, so the next morning, we reported the incident to the police. We heard nothing concerning the police investigation until this morning when we heard that our neighbour had killed my son.”
The Energy Commission has taken delivery of a new electric vehicle to test-drive and assess its performance, suitability and provide feedback to the suppliers.
The vehicle, which runs exclusively on electricity and without an engine, was manufactured by Wuling Automobile Industry Company Limited.
The vehicle, Great Wall ORA Black Cat EV, was presented by Egle Motors Company Limited, sole representatives of the brand, to support the commission’s Drive Electric Initiative (DEI) to promote electric vehicles in the country.
The Sales Manager of Egle Motors, Mr. Joseph Laryea, presented the vehicle to the Executive Secretary of the commission, Mr. Oscar Amonoo-Neizer.
Addressing the media at the presentation ceremony last Thursday at the office of the commission in Accra, the Director in charge of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency at the commission, Mr. Kofi Agyarko, said DEI was intended to usher in an era of green and sustainable technology for the future.
He stated that the objective of the initiative was to create productive demand in order to utilise the country’s electricity productively, usher in an era of green and sustainable technology for the future and reduce pollution.
He said it was also to contribute to efforts towards climate action while helping to resolve the electricity generation over-capacity in the short to medium term.
Personnel from the Homicide Unit of the Ghana Police Service that deals with crime of murder have arrived from Accra to commence investigation into the alleged killing of three boys at Abesim near Sunyani in the Bono Region.
The team arrived in Sunyani yesterday after the acting Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Dr. George Akuffo Dampare, directed the team to take over the investigation into the incident.
The police in Sunyani arrested 28-year-old Richard Appiah, an architect, who is believed to have murdered the three children and kept some meat suspected to be human flesh in his fridge.
The victims are his own 12-year-old stepbrother, Louis Agyeman Junior, and a 15-year-old Stephen Sarpong. The third victim is yet to be identified.
The bodies were found in his living quarters, owned by his father at Alaska near Abesim on Friday, August 20, 2021.
The police arrested another suspect (name withheld) last Sunday to assist in investigations.
The Daily Graphic gathered from the Bono Regional Police headquarters that the team has been busy at the crime scene since arrival.
According to the source, the unspecified number of the homicide officers had picked the fridge in which the suspect was alleged to have kept the pieces of suspected human parts to the regional command.
In addition, the team has gathered and brought the exhibits suspected to have been used to commit the crime to the regional headquarters for inwards transfer to Accra.
The homicide team is being supported by some Sunyani Municipal and Abesim Police personnel.
The Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources (MLNR) has warned of stiffer punishment for foreigners who sneak into the country to engage in illegal mining activities, popularly referred to as galamsey, with the connivance of some Ghanaians.
The ministry stressed that in their own interest, foreigners who were actively engaged in the illegal action, contrary to the law, should respect the laws of the land, as they would be shown no mercy when they were arrested.
Similarly, it warned Ghanaians who had been given the opportunity to mine at the small-scale level not to be lured into working with foreigners, as that was against the law.
The warning follows the revelation that the recent invasion of restricted mining areas has a large number of foreigners — Chinese, Ivorians, Togolese, Malians, among others — who are defying the laws of the country to continue the degradation and the pollution of water bodies.
Speaking to the Daily Graphic in an interview, the Deputy Minister of Lands and Natural Resources, Mr George Mireku Duker, said the current situation had come to the notice of the ministry, and that those found culpable would not just be arrested and deported as foreigners but also made to face the full rigours of the law before deportation.
Ghana, he said, was a country of laws and those who wished to visit the country must be ready to obey the laws.
A civil society organisation and pressure group, Alliance for Social Equity and Public Accountability (ASEPA) Ghana, has criticised the Commission for Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ) for discontinuing investigations into the alleged $5 million bribery allegation against the Chief Justice.
The Executive Director of ASEPA - Ghana, Mr Mensah Thompson, said CHRAJ’s decision to discontinue investigations following a petition by his outfit was a gross violation of procedural rules.
Speaking at a press conference in Accra yesterday, Mr Mensah accused CHRAJ of failing to go by the tenets of the law when it decided not to pursue the investigations any longer.
The allegation against the Chief Justice, Justice Kwasi Anin Yeboah, came out during a disagreement between Ogyeedom Obranu Kwesi Atta VI of Gomoa Afransi in the Central Region and his former lawyer, Mr Akwasi Afrifa.
Ogyeedom Atta VI petitioned the General Legal Council (GLC) to intervene in his failed attempt to retrieve an amount of $75,000, being part of a $100,000 sum he had allegedly given to Afrifa who had requested for it to enable him procure a favourable verdict from the apex court.
Mr Afrifa in response to the petition had indicated that it was Ogyeedom Kwesi Atta VI rather who had claimed to have met the Chief Justice, Kwasi Anin-Yeboah, and that the latter had demanded a $5 million bribe to help him win the case.
The Chief Justice, who has since denied the allegation and others, petitioned the Disciplinary Committee of the GLC to investigate the matter and he also reported same to the police CID for criminal investigation.
The pressure group further sent a petition to President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, asking him to trigger impeachment proceedings against the Chief Justice.
CHRAJ, in its report noted that ASEPA’s petition to the President seeking for the removal of the Chief Justice could adequately resolve the issue and, therefore, there was no need for it to continue with its investigations into the same matter.
The Commission, therefore, declined jurisdiction to investigate the matter per Section 13 (1) of the CHRAJ Act, 1993 (Act 456).
Section 13 (1) of Act 456 stipulates that the Commission may refuse to conduct investigations into a matter “where in the course of the investigation of any complaint it appears to the Commission- (a) that under the law or existing administrative practice, there is an adequate remedy for the complaint, whether or not the complainant has availed himself of it; or (b) that having regard to all the circumstances of the case, a further investigation is not necessary”.
Zambia's newly-elected leader Hakainde Hichilema takes office on Tuesday after a comprehensive election victory hailed as a rare triumph over authoritarianism and a milestone in African democracy.
Hichilema, 59, will take the oath of office before a crowd that will notably include opposition politicians from regional countries as well as current and former African leaders.
On his sixth bid for the presidency, Hichilema defeated the incumbent Edgar Lungu, 64, by almost one million votes -- a landslide spurred by economic hardship and restricted freedoms under the previous regime.
The victory is the 17th opposition win in sub-Saharan Africa since 2015.
It occurred despite restricted campaigning and suspected rigging in favour of Lungu's party.
Voter turnout on August 12 was nearly 71 percent, and many Zambians queued late into the night to cast their ballots.
Lungu and his rival were neck-and-neck in both 2016 polls and a 2015 snap election.
But the incumbent's popularity was sapped by unsustainable infrastructure spending that plunged the copper-rich southern African nation of over 18 million inhabitants into debt default.
The local kwacha currency plummeted and inflation rose over 24 percent, rendering basic goods unaffordable in a country where more than half the population lived in poverty before the pandemic.
Hichilema, fondly known as "HH" or "Bally" -- an informal term for father -- has vowed to clean up the mess and woo back spooked investors.
- 'Tyrants might rig harder' -
Authoritarian leaders "might learn a couple of lessons from this," Zambian economist Grieve Chelwa said.
But he warned that the Zambian scenario could also have the "perverse effect" of encouraging African "tyrants" to "rig harder".
There is consensus among analysts and observers that Lungu tampered with the ballot, citing intimidation tactics and more voters registered in opposition strongholds.
"It was a poor-quality election that was manipulated in a number of ways," political scientist Nic Cheeseman said.